It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen - John Wooden

Whenever discourse on insecurity arises, it is not out of place to see people pinpointing such things as the slack policing, high rate of unemployment and the straitened state of the Nigerian economy [in general] as the underlying reasons that the lives and properties of unsuspecting citizens are usually endangered. While these factors cannot be waved aside, permit me to spare some thoughts on aspect that has often been overlooked.

It has to do with the optimization of technology in taming the scourge of insecurity. As we already know technology is quite vast and in this article, I shall be narrowing the option to the very little things which could have aided in the fight against insecurity in no small measure. The ‘little things‘ here are closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and solar-powered street lights.
It is really alarming that in this age, government across different states and corporate organizations [with CSR initiatives] find it difficult to install these basic amenities within their areas of influence. They seem to have lost grasp of the little details that could have massively doused the menaces which further contribute to insecurity in the land. Moreover, security operatives ought not to have neglected these small things as they canvass for more comprehensive/sophisticated security frameworks.

The lack of these technological innovations is there for all to see; for one, the gross darkness that results from poor lighting is simply undeniable. At least, on my part, I have had to stare through the window of my apartment [at night and during the early hours of the morning] to be faced with this thick darkness that is capable of concealing the most grievous of evil. And come to think of it; we have got street lights installed - but they are not functional, and this is even in an area that is known for notorious activities like gang war and petty theft. Mine is just one of the many places with poor lighting within Lagos state and probably Nigeria as a whole.

So, what will it cost to have solar street lights installed to improve security in these communities? Inasmuch as these lights may not quell the danger entirely or dissuade maligned individuals from carrying out their heinous acts, it could prevent a host of prospective victims from falling prey. Hence, in essence, it is of utmost necessity that these lights be made available within every 100 - 200 meters and should be regularly monitored to ensure proper functioning.

Now unto CCTV camera; have you ever imagined how the installation of CCTV cameras will be beneficial on our roads? The issue of highway robbery has been on for awhile now - particularly on roads with high traffic congestion. Motorists on these roads have been left to their fate as the men of underworld strike time and again. It is understandable that the Nigerian Police Force may be short-staffed if it embarks on posting its officers to designated spots - not just the ones that are known for nefarious activities - on our highways. But with CCTV cameras installed around, events within various road networks will be closely monitored. More so, even though the perpetrators may carry out their operations at a certain instance, the chances of apprehending them will be higher upon reviewing the video captured by the cameras.

While complaints keep rending the air over the increasing rate of insecurity in the land, we cannot shy away from the fact that the continued neglect, exhibited by those in authority, in incorporating and optimising technological innovations - especially at the basic level - has further emboldened the security challenges that the citizens are faced with.