IS IT CHRISTMAS YET?
Though it is not yet Christmas but in retrospect, certain events that precede the 25th day of the year are enough to awaken the most extreme of introverts to the realities of Christmas. Safe for the injection of [Christmas] colours and articles and the rise in interstate travels- which is relatively reduced when compared to previous Christmas celebrations- the actuality facing us at the moment seem to betray the razzmatazz that is characteristic of this season...has Father Christmas suddenly become less generous? Pardon my blandness. The events that have immensely contributed to the current mood are known and felt [directly or indirectly] by everyone.
Recession bites hard
The economic downturn that the nation is enmeshed in, is definitely the number 1 reason for the way things are. Even though 'the chickens have not flown away from their cages', people still find it hard to get one as the price is looks to be beyond them: I got to know that one eye-catching and meaty chicken goes for 5,000 naira. As with chicken, the cost of other groceries have also skyrocketed...A friend once shared a post that tilt to the comical side: "You will eat rice on Christmas and new year day, may you not lick stew alone...": this truly paints a picture.
More surprisingly is the fact that some banks were even regulating the amount of money that is available to a customer- some customers could not take the amount they desired from their own account- as they (the banks) want to maintain cash flow. Long queues are now seen around ATMs...could it be that some banks are out of cash thus making the ones that have cash to get overcrowded.
The sounds of bangers have been knocked out
This season is one that those who love solitude will so much cherish as recession is making fireworks 'tub-thumpers' have a rethink. The sounds of bangers have not been rampant thus far and hardly do we see the sparkling effects in the air. The thoughts of having one stick lit up [for 50 naira] while 'the worms gnaw at the stomach lining' must have made those who cannot cope have a 'repentant' heart...come to think of it: would you rather get 50 naira burnt up at this moment? This Christmas would be a solemn one I perceive.
Nature seems to have a say
Dusty articles, dry air, dry skin and cracking of lips and so on are evident signs that usually come with this season. However, this is not the case for 2016 and I am tempted to ask: 'where has harmattan gone to? What has become of the 'dust-devil' that makes us 'smell' Christmas even amidst the air that had been deprived of humidity?
We will definitely not be able to deny the fact that the day (December 25th) has been set aside [by Christians] to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ but with all that is happening, one can be forgiven for asking: Is it really Christmas yet?
If your answer is YES! Then maybe it's time to humbly enjoin you to show some love and extend a hand to the one whose answer is NO!
The reason for the season is LOVE, I believe and this is a great time to spread the love.